Monday, August 24, 2009

Here's the story so far...

Since I will be traveling through time today (we leave Hong Kong at 4:25pm on the 25th and arrive at LAX at 2:25pm on the 25th); I thought I would share with you what happened on the trip on Sunday. Sunday was our last day in Jaipur. We got up and went to church and then got ready to go. Unfortunately there was some miscommunication so the transport hadn't been arranget to get us from Jaipur to Delhi. Thankfully, our good friend Emerson Scott, helped us book passage and went with us to help us navigate. It's a good thing he did. We got on an Indian Greyhound and started driving. If you have ever been to Mr. Toad's Wild Ride at Disneyland, you can imagine what the ride might have been like, except there are other riders in busses, camel driven carts, three wheeled motorscooters, motorcycles, bicycles and pedestrians. Now imagine everyone driving at the highest speed possible while honking their horn and weaving in and out of traffic to be first, and finally imagine 3-4 lanes of traffic on a two lane highway (off roading is permissible on this journey) and you can get a feel on what the ride was like for 7 hours. Oh, and one more thing the bus we were riding in did have a/c but there were curtains all over the surrounding windows, an it also covered the front of the passenger area so you couldn't see out the front window (I was fortunate because I could look through the 2 foot gap in the curtain past the driver's head because I was in the first seat) and when it got dark all of the lights were turned off in the passenger area. There was also a door that the driver locked from the passenger area to the driver area. All in all, it was a very exciting journey. Once we got to our stop, a little stand by the side of the roadway where we were dropped off, the 7 of us (6 of the team and Emerson Scott) got into three wheeled motorized rickshaw taxis and raced back to the airport on the freeway. Shelley and I rode together and our driver wanted to be first; we won! We finally boarded the plane at 3:30 in the morning on our way to Hong Kong. After sleeping for 3 hours on the plane I was ready for shopping in Hong Kong. Kevin and I set off to a tailor I used the last time I was here and we both had suits made and we met the rest of the team at Outback for dinner. Right now we are packing to head to the airport and then come home. As much as I love the city of Hong Kong, I'm going to be glad to be back home.
My next post will be from my home computer, Lord Willing.
Thank you for your prayers, this has been a great trip.

1 comment:

  1. Brett. Nobody could imagine the fury of Indian city street traffic without experiencing it personally. It's like a giant game of Chicken. Hilarious and maddening at the same time. I have a few videos to show people what it's like.
    I hope you had a profitable experience, Brett. Thank you for equipping our brothers and sisters to do the work of the ministry for the building up of the Body of Christ.
    I'll be teaching the Navigator class on Sunday AM. Maybe we'll pass in the hallway.
    I'll beep.