Monday, August 31, 2009

Back in the saddle again...

I have been home for 6 days now and am getting packed to leave again. I'm not normally away this much but Josh and I are leaving for a special trip that we have been planning for a long time. Josh turns 13 on September 10 (I turn 43 on the same day but this is really Josh's birthday now, I just share it with him :-) ) and we are celebrating this special birthday with a "rite of passage" trip. When Kenny turned 13 we took a train ride from San Juan Capistrano to Seattle where we spent 3 days. The idea of a long train trip wasn't very exciting to Josh so we have planned a trip he would like. We are heading down to my mom's house today (San Juan Capistrano) and we will head to Dana Point tomorrow for a 3/4 day deep sea fishing expedition. On Wednesday we get into the car and head to Henry Cowell Redwood State Park in Santa Cruz where we will camp until Sunday. We are looking forward to doing nature type stuff but I am looking forward to the memory building and a chance to talk to Josh more about the transition from boyhood into young adulthood. A few years ago I read the book Raising a Modern Day Knight by Robert Lewis, and I was impressed with the importance of creating milestones and rite of passage events in my children's lives (Jen and Sofie are planning on taking a 3 day cruise to Catalina and Mexico when Sofie turns 13). This isn't a "birds and bees" weekend because we have been talking about godly purity with our children for many years now, but I want to use this as a time to help Josh understanding his upcoming role as a man. Lewis has a great definition of what a real man is: A real man accepts responsibility, leads courageously, rejects passivity and expects the greater reward. Jennifer and I are hopeful that this definition along with asking the "Best Question Ever"; "In light of my past experiences, current realities and future hopes and dreams, what is the wise thing for me to do?", and basing all of our decisions on God's Word will help our children live for God now and follow Him for life. This is an important week for me and Josh and I look forward to this one on one time with my beloved son. Please pray that this will be a meaningful time for both of us and will be a cherished memory for both me and Josh.
Thank you for your prayers.
Your fellow servant,
Brett

1 comment:

  1. We will be thinking of you and Josh this week! Have a wonderful time bonding!! Can't wait to hear about it and see pictures.

    ReplyDelete